The 7th Annual Platinum Pias awards and World Premiere Screening of Part 1 of the Short Documentary“Celebrity Entrepreneurship: Youth Empowerment.” Awards will be given for Community Service, Education and the Arts celebrating those who are making a difference. Events will commence at 6:30pm on Monday, March 21, 2016 at DCTV Community Media Center, 87 Lafayette Street.
To attend you must first sign up for the official Platinum Pias newsletter at NYCmakeadifference.com then RSVP via email@example.com.
Produced by Lights Camera Read.com. Sponsored by SUNY, Empire State College: Society for Entrepreneurship and Music Industry Club – Faculty Advisor, Justin Giordano. Co-sponsored by Amy’s Garden Foundation and Music on the Inside.
“Celebrity Entrepreneurship: Youth Empowerment” includes John Amos (the father on the TV show “Good Times”), Victoria Price (daughter of horror icon Vincent Price who is the voice of Michael Jackson’s “Thriller”), Gary Sohmers (of PBS’s “Antiques Road Show”) as well as Julie Newmar (the original Catwoman of the “Batman” TV series) plus more.
An important aspect of our live and video event will be the presence of a media crew filming and interviewing select guests to expand Part 2 of our work in progress documentary “Celebrity Entrepreneurship” empowering and enlightening students on the benefits and necessities of being entrepreneurial in today’s world. This will be done after the awards and screening at the reception that includes food.
How did the Platinum Pias begin? Back in 2009 parents John and Alison Stamas wanted their then infant daughter Lily to experience a parade complete with costumes. So they organized a line of people that consisted of over a 100 parents and kids in full regalia that went through their InwoodManhattan.com neighborhood on Broadway, business to business. Treats were given at each business and the event was covered by among others, NY1. This in turn lead to John producing the First Annual Platinum Pias in 2010 as a way to thank the Inwoodite businesses and community for participating in the parade. And hence the Pias – recognizing those making a difference – were born!
If you, your organization or someone you know made a dynamic contribution in creative entrepreneurship, particularly in regards to community service, multi-media, New York history, conservation or the environment please contact us.
The criteria for being nominated and winning a Pia is that the nominee must be a New York City organization or person who has made a difference in her or his residential, college, high or middle school community.
Journalists from publications including “Manhattan Kids Guide” and “Bronx News NYC,” will all be covering the “After News” of the event. As well as will the nycmakeadifference.com Newsletter at Entertainment Entrepreneurship, the official newsletter of the Platinum Pias.
Platinum Pia Awards being given this year include:
1. The “Community Center Pia” for outstanding work building communication and making a difference with a community center, presented by Alina Bloomgarden.
2. The “Citizen Pia” for outstanding work building communication and making a difference as a citizen, presented by Ali Baynes.
3. The “Artist Pia” for outstanding work building communication and making a difference as an artist, presented by Al Nazemian.
4. The “School Pia” for outstanding work building communication and making a difference at a school; including by students, teachers, principals or after school programs, presented by Dr. M. Yolanda Eng.
5. The “Entrepreneur Pia” for outstanding work building communication and making a difference as an entrepreneur in the community, presented by Justin Giordano.
6. And this year, for the first time in the history of the Platinum Pias, a Lifetime Achievement Platinum Pia will be presented!
Submit your nominee’s name or organization and why you think he or she or his or her organization should win to firstname.lastname@example.org. If possible email a link to a web page. Entries are for activities that occurred during the year 2015 with last chance to submit on February 1, 2016.